I just realised that it has been a year since I posted any new instrument photos here… it’s been a busy year, mostly filled with things other than instrument making, but I have finished these three guitars in the last few months:
The first was a prototype classical guitar which I made to test out some different woods and new design ideas. It has an Austrian stone pine top and Finnish birch ply back and sides. The result is a nice, simple design, which I might develop into an affordable student model in the future.
The second was an interesting classical guitar commission / design collaboration, which ended up producing a very successful new design. It has a European spruce top, American cherry back and sides, Douglas fir and carbon fibre neck, and katalox fingerboard. String lengths are 630-650mm.
The third was this commission for a 9-string version of the Brahms guitar, tuned EADGCFADG (from low to high), with a 5 octave range from E1 to E6 (21st fret on the high G string). It has a European spruce top, sapelli and lacewood (European plane) back and sides, Douglas fir and carbon fibre neck, and a Rocklite Ebano fingerboard. String lengths are 600-690mm
With a bit of luck, my new workshop will be up and running soon, and I’ll be able to start working on my next couple of commissions…